Auburn University
Auburn University was established in 1856 as the East Alabama Male College. In 1872, under the Morrill Act, the school became the first land-grant college in the South and, through the years, underwent more name changes. As the university expanded, so did the need for agricultural research and effective means for ensuring that ordinary Alabamians benefitted from it. These goals are realized through Auburn's College of Agriculture, the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences, the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, and the Alabama Cooperative Extension System. Together these entities teach students, conduct research, and ensure that all Alabamians benefit from the knowledge of the university.